Snaps [long]

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Wed Apr 14 23:48:02 AKDT 2004

>I would say it is when the slope goes to zero.  Many lift curves go flat for
>quite a few degrees of angle of attack before the slope goes negative
>especially on low aspect ratio wings.  We always said a surface was stalled
>when the slope dropped to zero.
>We always strove for a low time constant meaning a short time between
>establishing an angle of attack and the vehicle pitching.  To do a snap as
>people are describing we'd need a long time constant where we can create a
>large angle of attack before generating a pitch acceleration.  Larger
>control surfaces ?

No, larger control surfaces (beyond that needed to adequately
maneuver the airplane) would only result in using less elevator
deflection for a given maneuver element.  I say that as we aren't
currently limited in pitch control authority with the current designs.

What you need to get a significant excursion in angle of attack
(alpha) before the airplane displaces a noticeable amount in the
z-axis is a <significantly> higher wing loading.  A higher wing
proportional to the lift curve slope (CL-alpha) divided by wing
can generate for a given amount of lift.

So to generate a 20% larger excursion in alpha (just to pick a
number) while generating the same lift force as before would require
a 20% increase in wing loading.  In this example, for a 10 lb
airplane that means increasing the weight to 12 lbs.  Can't do that
(weight limit) so the only way to achieve it within the current rules
is to reduce the wing area as much as practical, which is what the
current designs are favoring.  There are other advantages as well to
the smaller wings such as reduced roll inertia and reduced roll
response to lateral wind gusts (if the span is reduced, or if the
taper ratio is increased).  In reality, most of the current "trendy"
designs have only reduced the wing area by around 10% to 15% so you'd
only see an increase in alpha excursion by the same 10% to 15%.  That
equates to an increase in angle of attack of "maybe" a degree or two.
Not very significant.

Think of it as a momentum issue.  A heavier airplane will "dig"
deeper in response to a pitch command before displacing the same
amount as a lighter airplane commanded to a lesser angle of attack.
This is where IMAC with the bigger airplanes and no weight limit has
a big advantage over a <relatively> lightly loaded pattern plane.

I'll throw out one last thought for everyone to chew on.  I don't
believe we are stalling the airfoils on our pattern planes when
executing snap rolls (IMAC either for that matter).  The planes are
simply too lightly loaded to get to a stalled angle of attack before
the lateral control inputs take over (consider that we need to reach
18-20 degrees alpha to stall most of the airfoils we're using).  The
pitch break requirement described in the rule book simply means that
you can't get away with doing what is essentially an aileron roll,
with very little pitch excursion, and a little bit of rudder (we used
to call them "flip rolls" back in the late 80's/early 90's).  I'm not
saying that we're not doing snap rolls, or that you have to stall the
aircraft to do a proper snap roll, only that I don't believe that the
plane is anywhere close to being stalled during the maneuver.  It's
mostly a control surface driven maneuver, not flow separation driven.

That said, fire away!

Jerry

(and no, Robert, I'm not going to translate the above into Redneck -
it'd probably fry my translator!)
--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com