Snaps

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 19:22:08 AKDT 2004

I would say it is when the slope goes to zero.  Many lift curves go flat for
quite a few degrees of angle of attack before the slope goes negative
especially on low aspect ratio wings.  We always said a surface was stalled
when the slope dropped to zero.
We always strove for a low time constant meaning a short time between
establishing an angle of attack and the vehicle pitching.  To do a snap as
people are describing we'd need a long time constant where we can create a
large angle of attack before generating a pitch acceleration.  Larger
control surfaces ?
Jim