1.40 FZ assembly question

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Apr 14 20:49:59 AKDT 2004

My opinion is once you removed the bearing you put some side load on it..."shear". This could have put some flat spot on the balls, and or crimped the retaining rings...You most likely damaged it in the removal process. I have re-used the oil seal before but if it looks damaged I would replace it also. The bearing may be fine but then again it would really suck to have a problem with it because you removed it from the case. When bearing fail under such conditions usually you buy lots of parts to fix it. In the case of the front bearing....If you did damage it and it comes apart....A new case is like $140, and crank is like $70, a new cam gear if metal gets back there is like $50....The real question you need to ask is the $12.75 you save on using a possible damaged part worth the expense of maybe $250 and down time. The oil seal is an $8.50 part....the question you should ask here...Is it worth it to fight a motor that is not running right and looking at what is leaking and where to figure out...Then tear down again and replace the oil seal....

Basically I have never seen a front bearing fail. Its usually if anything the rear bearing and on the 4 strokes these fail quite infrequently with the use of a good fuel and good care.

Now that you have it all apart My suggestion is to replace both parts. While your at it...new rear bearing, ring and gaskets would be on my list if it were my motor. Total less than $50 worth of parts, and motor is now like new!

Troy Newman