Defensive judging to avoid retaliation. Are you guilty?

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 18:12:52 AKDT 2004

In a message dated 4/14/2004 8:37:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Rcmaster199 at aol.com writes:
To be a good judge, you have got to overcome that line of thinking. If the
uninitiated want to give you zeroes for good maneuvers in retaliation, so be it.
I know it happens, but you gotta stick to your guns, no matter who is flying
.
Very true. The key word here is "the uninitiated" . The overall majority of
top level pilots know the mistakes they have made. That is why they are so good
at covering them. An experienced FAI pilot will not pronounce his mistakes by
immediately correcting them like a lower class flyer does. They get away with
far more from the uniniatiated judge than to waste time getting even with
you. Next time they see you in the chair they will correct the problem. If they
don't, score it accordingly. As Matt says, stick to your guns.

Always be fair and consistant. Apply the rules equaly to all, and more likely
than not, you will be labeled a good judge.

Remember, being a good judge requires practice and experience, just as being
a good pilot. We all spend much more time flying than we do judging.

Robert Gainey