6V packs servo safe or not

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 14 10:58:10 AKDT 2004

Thanks for the info Mike. I am using regular old NiCads. I have a 5 cell 6v 1700Mah pack. I only used the Duralite regulator as I heard it was very good. I am using it with a JR 9 channel receiver and all coreless servos (except throttle). It will be very nice to set up my new Odyssey without the regulator, then I can benefit from the extra speed and torque of the 6v pack.

I went to the regulator on an older plane because it would get very twichy and act funny when the batteries were fully charged. My plane made more noise than a bee hive and the servos would twich with no input. I eventually shortened the aileron leads and went to the regulator and the problem went away. Not exactly sure which solved the problem.

Mike McConville <mmcconville at horizonhobby.com> wrote:
Unregulated 6V is fine on JR gear. I cant speak for other brands. I'm sure Tony or someone can. I assume your using nicads or nimh batteries. You mentioned a Duralite regulator. If using Duralite packs, which are 7.4V, that is probably not a good idea. Some servos wont like 7.4V for long.
On your regulator placement, just plug it between the switch and rx, then you can charge w/o taking off the canopy.