Snap Switch

Patternrules at aol.com Patternrules at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 14:04:13 AKDT 2004

In a message dated 4/13/2004 4:32:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
mweast at prodigy.net writes:
I dunno,
It is all for fun, Im new to pattern and I just enjoy the social aspect and
watching the studs perform right now so consider me a conscientious observer to
this discussion.
But just for fun and the sake of discussion, heres my view.  I will say that
if a person scores an 8.5 on an avalanche which has a 3 K factor where it
should have been a zero or significant downgrade at minimum in every round due to
no break, or being a glorified high speed axial roll with a clean exit, but
another person who does a slow snap roll with a perfect break and a 15degree
heading correction gets a zero because its slow and easy to see MINOR heading and
rotation corrections in every round or even a couple of rounds,  then it
could very well  mean the difference between 1st and last place. The second
competitor did a good snap but you could see the obvious errors for minimal
downgrades but the 1st gets scored high because it looks good and its so fast you cant
really tell for sure.
One thing I learned in judging school is that speed is not a scorable portion
of a snap roll, only attitude break, conical rotation, under/overrotation and
heading corrections are.

You have to score higher K factor maneuvers CORRECTLY or someone is going to
get shortchanged. The only saving grace I have seen in pattern is that
frequently different judges score different rounds so things sortof even out. Im a
rookie judge so I am one of the guys who is prone to make these sort of
mistakes, but a veteran judge with incorrect preconceived notions who lets his own
theories get between the rulebook and the scoresheet can be just as problematic.
Its sort of like MLB where Greg Maddux used to get 6" off the outside corner
for a strike but the opposing pitcher didnt, just because he is Greg Maddux.
Its only fair if everyone knows the rules and gets judged by the same, CORRECT
criteria.

Just for fun discussion, nothing personal. After all its only a hobby.Maybe I
will learn something here. :)

 This is all true I was making generalization, on the other hand if I'm the
only one doing the snap right doesn't mean that I'm the best pilot it maybe the
only thing I do right, and again I say that these discussions are what will
make a big difference, we'll never get 100% from judging what we are shooting
for is better pilots better judging, as I have said more than once don't get so
involved in the competition that you loose sight of the fun and enjoyment of
getting together with friends, I have seen to many people get so eat up with
winning that they end up dropping out, no matter what, your going to come out
of this as a much better pilot.

Steve Maxwell