Snap Switch

Mike East mweast at prodigy.net
Tue Apr 13 13:30:53 AKDT 2004

"but another person who does a slow snap roll with a perfect break and a 15degree heading correction gets a zero because its slow and easy to see MINOR heading and rotation corrections in every round or even a couple of rounds"
sorry, I meant to say a zero or even a 5,6 or 7 versus an 8.5

Mike East <mweast at prodigy.net> wrote:
I dunno,
It is all for fun, Im new to pattern and I just enjoy the social aspect and watching the studs perform right now so consider me a conscientious observer to this discussion.
But just for fun and the sake of discussion, heres my view.  I will say that if a person scores an 8.5 on an avalanche which has a 3 K factor where it should have been a zero or significant downgrade at minimum in every round due to no break, or being a glorified high speed axial roll with a clean exit, but another person who does a slow snap roll with a perfect break and a 15degree heading correction gets a zero because its slow and easy to see MINOR heading and rotation corrections in every round or even a couple of rounds,  then it could very well  mean the difference between 1st and last place. The second competitor did a good snap but you could see the obvious errors for minimal downgrades but the 1st gets scored high because it looks good and its so fast you cant really tell for sure.
One thing I learned in judging school is that speed is not a scorable portion of a snap roll, only attitude break, conical rotation, under/overrotation and heading corrections are.

You have to score higher K factor maneuvers CORRECTLY or someone is going to get shortchanged. The only saving grace I have seen in pattern is that frequently different judges score different rounds so things sortof even out. Im a rookie judge so I am one of the guys who is prone to make these sort of mistakes, but a veteran judge with incorrect preconceived notions who lets his own theories get between the rulebook and the scoresheet can be just as problematic.
Its sort of like MLB where Greg Maddux used to get 6" off the outside corner for a strike but the opposing pitcher didnt, just because he is Greg Maddux. Its only fair if everyone knows the rules and gets judged by the same, CORRECT criteria.

Just for fun discussion, nothing personal. After all its only a hobby.Maybe I will learn something here. :)

Mike