Engine Starter

mdarr00 at comcast.net mdarr00 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 13:20:49 AKDT 2004

Well, I guess I don't have any choice, but to reply to this one.  First of all I would like to thank Anthony for the kind words.

The starter is your run of the mill Sullivan DynaTron Hi-Tork starter.  I removed the original cord for the starter and replaced it with 00 gauge wire.  O.k. that was only when Anthony and I needed to crank over the 12 cylinder Allison in his 1/4 scale P-51 ARF Mustang.  Anyway, I did replace the cord with a heavier wire, but I am unsure of the gauge.  I did this because I wanted a longer cord, plus you get a lot less current drop to the starter.  Now for power I have 2 12 volt batteries wired in series which puts 24 volts to the starter and makes it turn a whole lot faster while increasing torque.  Now I know I am not the only one that ever did this, but what I did, was I wired it to a two position toggle switch rated at 500 volts and 5 amps.  This switch allows me to switch between 12 and 24 volts.  I do not recommend doing this with a Kavan starter.  The Dynatron is designed to run on 12 or 24 volts.  Now obviously this is way more than we will need to start our pattern engines.  Also if your engine would not turn over because it was flooded, the Dynatron on 24 volts would just break the weakest link in the engine.  This starter gets very little use by me, but it is nice to have when needed.  I start my O.S. 140, and Mintor 170s with a Kavan with a 14.4 volt pack.  I purchased the starter and battery form B&P a little over two years ago.  When I go to contests, the battery makes it all weekend on one charge with no problem, and I am not the only one that uses it.  I love my Kavan, when it wears out I will buy another one, and I will get it form B&P.

If anyone is interested in the schematic to wire up a 12/24 volt system up let me know off list.

Mike Darr