Composite Pipe Repair

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Fri Sep 26 05:37:18 AKDT 2003

Ed

I was the person who change the subject of the original post, because in
no way was I trying to single out any supplier, my comments were in
general as there are several composite pipe suppliers on the market, and
in my locale about half fail at the inlet tube due to high temperature.
Bolly got my kudos simply because they do not sand the outside of the
pipe, and I have never seen a burned out Bolly pipe, granted only about 10
that I have seen. And as far as the sanding goes, I think I was pretty
accurate in describing where that requirement came from, and I still
disagree with the practice on such a thin structure, but as you have
stated, to sell pipes it is a requirement.
I have never owned one of your pipes, but what I have seen has always been
very light weight, excellent appearance (for what its worth), and good
engine performance. I also know that more than 2% of the people that I
know use your pipe in my area experience failure at the inlet, because
somehow word gets around and they bring it to me to see if I can fix it.
My point of the whole post was to attempt to educate people as to the
difficulties of making a pipe that is affordable, looks good cuz it soooo
important, is lightweight and durable. If your pipes had one flaw it was
durability when

1. The header was not just right.
2. The operator had a lean run
3. One of those in combination with a hot day-no cooling.

By switching to a higher temp resin and process you obviously made a move
in the right direction, and fixed the one weakness, however small, of your
pipes. In my opinion, nothing I posted was incorrect nor misleading,
simply my observations of the composite pipes in general.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering