ES Composite Pipe Repair

Chuck Czarnik CCzarnik at arclp.com
Wed Sep 24 05:09:15 AKDT 2003

Tom, I inherited my CF pipe, and it came with a semi-crushed inlet.  The beginning of the end was when I very gently tried to heat the neck of the pipe with my heat gun to soften it enough to get a piece of ½ x .049 aluminum tube in there and restore the shape.  Well, I got the tube in there but the whole inlet is now weakened from my "heat treating" process..  Thus the quest for some kind of adhesive to strengthen things.

This pipe probably has 100-125 flights on it, and there is no evidence of soaking.  Still very light.  I think that if ES made a minor design change and put more aluminum in the neck as a clamping surface, this problem would go away.  All that is in them now is a metal rod (about .100 molded into the neck, along with a section of metal tubing about the width of a wedding ring right at the end.  If they put an inch or so of aluminum tube in the pipe this would fix the problem with negligible weight.  I bet a lot of people clamp behind the insert.

Thanks everybody for the tips on adhesives!  Chuck