Mintor 1.7 Reliability.

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Sat Sep 20 14:05:35 AKDT 2003

I forgot to comment upon reliability, mainly because it is such a subjective challenge. Here are my notes from this year with two Mintor 1.70's.

The engine started first backwards-bump-flick in every competitive round.

Needed a starter first run of the day to clear the after run oil.

Kept going when one plug died, just gave less top end.

First one was hard to break in. Later liner was very easy to break-in

Never broke an engine - Ate a few plugs if run on the edge of lean.

Liked 10% and three clicks fat.

Never quit in the air even when very fat!

Had a no mid-range transition problems, ever!

Exhaust O-rings lasted 200 flights and were only swapped as a precaution.

Parts replaced were piston/rod sleeve sets. I keep sets together so that a broken in set can be used at full power immediately.

Killed one piston with debris. Liner replaced as well to be sure.

Changed bearings at end of season. They were dirty but not dead,,,,

All of the above is pretty normal for a season with any current pattern engine. please note, I provided this info for your consumption and not to endorse push any particular motor. These are just my facts for 2003.

Regards,

Eric.