What type of Teflon for headers?

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 16:55:03 AKDT 2003

I just replaced the umpteenth Teflon header on my plane, this one after 9 flights. The headers are made from PTFE tubing purchsed from McMaster-Carr. For grins I purchased blue tubing to match my plane. The failure seems to be caused by the header rotating in the teflon, eroding the inside until it fails. I am using a header brace, and I add a split piece of teflon to protect the header from the spring clamp clamp

Is there a certain type of teflon with higher abrasion resistance that what I am using? Is the colored teflon weaker than the standard milky-white teflon? Anybody else suffer from this problem? Thanks.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com