Firewall for Hyde Mount

Nedim Bek nedim at nbengineering.net
Tue Sep 9 09:02:50 AKDT 2003

We, Chad Northeast, Dave Reaville some other pattern fliers up here at
Western Canada and myself use 1/4" Carbon-Nomex honeycomb panels together
with my NBE aluminum bushings and aluminum soft mount without a single
problem for more than a year on our planes, Evolis, Enigma, Synergy and
Mantis. Chad probably put about 1000 flights on his three aircraft.

We certainly use nose ring for the front support. It is a must for this type
of firewall structure. My personal choice is the CF nose ring, it is simply
the best.

Carbon honeycomb panels are really really light, about 1/3 of the weight.
They are strong but not as strong as 3/16 plywood. Therefore, a front end
support by means of a nose ring is essential!

What you save is not less than 2 oz. with above configuration in compared to
alternative methods.

Nedim