Teaching

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 14:56:37 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 9/8/2003 1:47:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
flyinglady at mypccrashed.com writes:

> I will be doing the AMA delta dart for a gifted class at a local school.
>
> If anyone has done this and has some tips I would really appreciate them.
>
> Sincerely

I've done a few of these over the years to 9-12 yearolds. I suggest you get
at least one adult helper who can handle kids and help with the discipline, if
your class is larger than about 5 kids.

Make corrugated cardboard building boards for each kid, 2'x2', and line one
side with butcher's freezer wrap, non stick side up. Let the kids use only
white glue, which means two sessions at least letting glue dry. Superglue would be
very messy and is not recommended if you can avoid it. These would be easy to
put up while the glue dries

In my sessions, depending on how the kids responded, I tried to start with an
introduction to flying principles, where we would make paper planes first and
fly them. Then we would get into the building of the Darts.

My classes usually lasted for 3 sessions, the last being the flying session.

Last but not least, good luck, and have fun at it. And don't expect any
participation from parents. Weird thing was that i never had a parent come and take
pictures of their kid's activity. Never could understand that but that's how
they turned out.

Matt K