Fail Safe

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Sun Sep 7 18:48:59 AKDT 2003

Hi all,
Ok I have to wade in here too. Firstly my disclaimer...I in no way wish to
bash or praise brand X over brand Y. This has just been my experience.

I flew JR for many years. In Australia JR has enjoyed, and still enjoys the
largest market share ( by a long way) for as long as I remember.
I had three 10 series radios, starting with the very first one they came out
with.
I had my first 'pattern' crash not long after. I swore on a stack of bibles
that I had "nothing", but I was prepared to accept that just maybe I had
thumbed it in, due to my inexperience at the time. Besides, everyone else
reckoned it looked like I thumbed it in.

So I built another model. This time ( and even now) I set my failsafe to:
full up elevator,  idle, and gear up ( in those days when we used retracts
<BG>) I figured, I will know straight away if I hit failsafe!  I did this so
as to prevent a 'fly away'. I guess you could call it a controlled crash.
After six flights, I started to get failsafes and then again it happened
...ka booooom. I knew I had not thumbed it this time.Time for a new model.
I wrote a nice letter to Mr JR and my radio went to Japan. While it was in
Japan for six weeks, I updated to a 10s series.
My old radio returned and the only original parts left were the
cases...servos too were totally replaced. Wow I thought...That was service!
New model time ( months had gone by) and in went the 10s. I cant exactly
recall how soon it was and I got the dreaded failsafes again.
Bang...in went another model. I had scanners out there etc etc..you get the
idea. I sent the radio away...no fault found. Another model, another
radio....boom. You would think I would learn by now!!!!

I wrote an email to Tony Stillman who suggested I check the grounding on the
case of the Tx. Sure enough I did not have a circuit all the way around the
case of the Tx. It took me all of two minutes to fix it. New model and all
was fine for a while ( longer than any other time... a few months as I
remember), then glitches etc and then kaboooom. I checked the Tx myself
straight away and sure enough, no continuity around the case. I sent the
radio away as it was..twice..
No fault found. They were as helpful as I guess one could expect..but
crashing four pattern models was getting way too expensive! I never asked,
but I would have thought that after buying 3 ten radios from Mr JR..and
having a documented crash and service history..that they may have offered me
a new radio. But this was not the case. I don't know, but I suppose Horizon
over your way may have been more sympathetic?
Pete..I know your lurking out there. You were there for three of those
crashes.

So I had the radio serviced by the JR people and sold it ( on the opposite
side of the country) Never heard how they got on!

I changed to the Futaba WC..and the only problems I have had was 'battery
failsafe' when I used that Duralite junk...sorry..that just gets my blood
boiling.
Got rid of those bats and never looked back as far as the radio is concerned
( I just wished they would make a new one.. I have come across a few
limitations which I see as needing different electronics)

Anyway..cutting out my rambling, check the case for continuity and then send
it away and get it checked anyway.

For me an ideal radio would be a Futaba built by JR and engine wise..a YS
built by OS!! <BG>

Good luck.

Tom

*PLEASE NOTE*  This email and any attachments may
be confidential. If received in error, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. The reproduction or
dissemination of this email or its attachments is
prohibited without the consent of the sender.

WARNING RE VIRUSES:  Our computer systems sweep
outgoing email to guard against viruses, but no warranty
is given that this email or its attachments are virus free.
Before opening or using attachments, please check for
viruses.  Our liability is limited to the re-supply of any
affected attachments.

individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of the
organisation.