Pattern wing design

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 14:56:29 AKDT 2003

The Kaos wing was a TLAR section of approximately 15% thickness. Root chord
was around 13" and tip chord was around 10"

 with a span of around 60"
, in double tapered planform. The Super Kaos was one of the better flying
planes of the day and trained many a  budding pattern pilot, including me.
HOWEVER, the ribs were pretty much all different; shapes, thicknesses, LE TE all
tended to be a little different and matched poorly to the overall structure. That
is, compared to most things we see today.

Another HOWEVER: it flew extremely well even though the wing surfaces were
often uneven. It flew better than the later releases called the UDDER CHAOS or
Ultimate Kaos or something like that. The later versions were utilising the
world famous Curare wing, which, on the Curare, worked incredibly well. It was
the World Champ airplane after all, Hanno Prettner notwithstanding. On the Super
Kaos, it behaved doggy. OMO

The Prophecy airfoil, as the story was re-told, came from FS, or fish shape.
Nature given the chance, will be more efficient in her designs, one way or
another. So the copying here was pure genius. Or not.

Matt K