Pattern wing design

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 08:43:46 AKDT 2003

I am in the final stages of production on my new "Eagle One" design which is
a revised fiberglass fuse.  Version of my "Mirage" ( Changed the name for
obvious reasons) .
The first Fuselage is out of the mold and I am looking at possible revisions
to the wings but unfortunately I am wing stupid.
If there is anyone out there that will provide some insight on the subject it
will be appreciated.
1. Airfoil? Shape and type with advantages and disadvantages of those
currently used on pattern planes
2. Plan size and shape? Single tapered and double tapered and why?
3.  Airfoil thickness and taper? Equal percentage or higher percentage taper
and why?
4. More sweep or less sweep? (expected effect)
5. Dihedral? Expected effects.
What are the best being used currently? Why?
I am currently using a Laminar airfoil 2- 1/8" Max thickness (11.5%), 19"
wide at the root and 9" wide at the tip double tapered with a leading edge sweep
of 15 degrees and a trailing edge taper of 2-1/2 degrees plan form with equal
percentage thickness, 34" long and 7 degrees dihedral.
The airplane fly's good with some small flight imperfections that I think a
revision to wing design may correct.  I just want to make sure that I
understand what the expected results of any changes will be before I proceed
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Buddy