response to Troys Li-Ion post

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 19:24:17 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 9/1/2003 10:47:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
khoard at midsouth.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: response to Troys Li-Ion post
> Date:9/1/2003 10:47:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:khoard at midsouth.rr.com">khoard at midsouth.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Gentlemen,
>
>     This may have been covered already. . . but if I remember my high school
> chemistry classes, doesn't Lithium rank right up there with Sodium as far as
> being dangerous in the presence of oxygen?
>

> Keith L. Hoard
> Cordova, TN

Right you are Keith, except the term "dangerous" is unfortunate. I would use
"reactive", which means alot of good can happen from the reaction with the
metal.

I worked with Sodium metal a little in Chem Lab. The metal is extremely
reactive, so much so that it is stored in heavy saturated oil to keep moisture
away. Very cool material. When allowed to come in contact with water, as in
"dropped in a beaker full" , I'd get a super display of  bubbles of, you guessed it,
hydrogen gas. Common dilute lye (sodium hydroxide) was left in the beaker

Lithium is far more reactive than Sodium. I have never worked with Li; its
potential energy is such that it can autoignite in the presence of most any
oxidizer. This is even Kooler material.

Speaking of oxidizers, did you know that carbon doxide is also an oxidizer
when certain conditions exist? But I digress

Li, is the most "electropositive" material around (to use a Chemist term) and
that makes it well suited for batteries of highest potential. No, It isn't an
"ideal" material because it is so reactive, but alot of really smart folks
have figured out how to protect the metal in a battery and keep it away from
oxidizers, such that the reaction that does take place in the battery, is
reversible (another Chemist term that means, you guessed it, rechargeable).

Matt K