Pattern & Imac 2003 Nationals articles in AMA Mag.

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Oct 29 09:11:52 AKST 2003

Ken,

Very well stated. I agree we have more in common that differences. The us
vs. them attitude is  too prevalent and this latest article in MA shows that
the grass is not as green on the other side of the fence.....IMAC as an
organization has some huge hurtles to overcome. From newsletter issues that
have now caused membership numbers to decline in mass. To some noise issues
(not touching that one) to the management of a National Championship event.

The NATS has become in many ways as you stated another contest, rather than
a National Championships. For better or worse this is where we are. We as
the NSRCA and the Pattern community have a huge amount of influence, and
experience to offer a group like IMAC or SPA but there is too much of the
bickering over who gets the new pilot or who gets the prime time slot in the
magazine......

as the Great Rodney king stated so well " Can't we all just get along?"  LOL

Ken thanks for lurking. And  try a pattern model you'll love it....The newer
designs are really capable of many of the things the 40% Extras can do. This
is on a smaller platform and with a better precision base that the scale
models....We have similar power to weight and in some cases better wing
surprised many a IMAC flyer with my Smaragd and my Hydeaway. They could not
believe the locked on feel and the models were still able to do the flippity
floppity stuff too.

A wise man once told me the IMAC planes are sport planes that can be
competitive. Sport flyers have grabbed the big is beautiful and gas motor
horse for a great ride. There are 33% Sport planes all over the country and
all the flying fields....yet Pattern models are like Pylon planes we don't
sport fly them....there are not many sport flyers that own them.....We
preach you don't need a pattern model to compete in pattern...but go to a
contest and how many sport models are there?

Go to an IMAC event and there are tons of sport models that are flying
Competition...Not only that but the local guy has a IMAC style sport model
and when the clubs local event rolls around he enters it to support the
club, to have fun and to enjoy his everyday spot model in a competition
atmosphere.....This doesn't happen with pattern models.

Troy Newman