Pattern & Imac 2003 Nationals articles in AMA Mag.

Ken McGuire rcplanefan at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 08:35:48 AKST 2003

George and all,

This is my first post on this forum as I've been
lurking for a while.  I currently fly IMAC and have
for the past 3 years.  I have never flown pattern,
though I am interested in getting started.  I chose to
fly IMAC because I like the "scale looking" airplanes
and love competitive aerobatics.  I just wanted to
make a couple of comments on your post.

First of all, I didn't attend the NATS this year which
kind of sucks because I live in Cincinnati and would
have only had about a 2 or 3 hour drive.  However,
there were 21 IMAC contests in my region (North
Central) during this past season.  All of these
contests occur on weekends and, as a result, require
that I take no vacation from work to attend.  The
average attendance was about 20 people--some had many
more than 30, a few had less than 20.  So, at least in
my region, the competitive circuit is full.  The NATS
would have required taking the better part of a week
away from work.  Nah, for me I can compete in 15-20
contests during the spring, summer, and fall.  No need
to skip a week of work for the NATS.

Economic reasons?  Well, this has been said many times
before, but the top-of-the-line IMAC plane really
doesn't cost any more that a top-of-the-line pattern
plane.  I don't think that "most" IMAC guys have
planes worth >$7500.  I personally know very few.
However, most of the competitive planes are large.
Ever tried to ship one of these via the airlines?
Can't be done.  Which means you have to drive to the
contest--usually towing a trailer, or ship in a crate.
 Not alot of guys in California who want to do either
(and I don't blame them).

The IMAC NATS to me is really just another contest.
And I have so many to choose from that don't require a
week away, that I chose to skip.  You are correct
about one thing--the article certainly won't help
future NATS attendence.  But there are plenty of other
"national" level contests to attend--the Joe Nall
Masters, JR Challenge, and Tuscon Shootout to name a
few.

Anyway, I hope you guys realize that IMAC is really
the same type of guys as pattern flying competitive
aerobatics with a different type of plane.  Same goal
in mind, though--precision flight.  Please don't get
an "us vs. them" thing going.  This is supposed to be
fun--it sure a hell is for me!

Ken McGuire