bearing question

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 18:16:25 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 10/21/2003 9:21:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
emorydmd at earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:bearing question
> Date:10/21/2003 9:21:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:emorydmd at earthlink.net">emorydmd at earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hello,
>
> I have some replacement bearings for my ST3250 that have the covers over the
> balls. I think they may also have some grease packed in there. How do I
> remove the cover to wash it out. Do I just pry it off? I don't want to mess up
> the bearing.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Emory Schroeter
> <A HREF="mailto:emorydmd at earthlink.net">emorydmd at earthlink.net</A>

Emory, with  a thin, flat blade screwdriver you should be able to pry the
cover off. The covers usually have a rolled lip in their outer rim, and that's
how they are attached to the outer race. It should pop off relatively easily.
The covers are often destroyed in the process but you may salvage it by being
super careful.

Washing the grease out is a good idea for the main bearing but probably
doesn't matter that much for the front bearing.

good luck

Matt