Paint?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 14:27:32 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 10/18/2003 3:58:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
geobet at gis.net writes:

> Subj:Paint?
> Date:10/18/2003 3:58:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:geobet at gis.net">geobet at gis.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hey guys,
> Need a little feedback from the group about Aero-Gloss formula-U. This
> stuff is labeled urethane paint, but differs from the stuff that Tony
> sells in that it is a no mix catalyzed material. Has anyone had
> experience with this product? Would you advise as to the downside of the
> product. I have some of the stuff on hand and was wondering if I will
> get into a mess if I use the stuff? Does anybody know if it adheres well
> and if it is totally fuel-proof?
> Quisical,
> Georgie

Yeah, Georgie, I used the stuff 20+ years ago to paint my flight box. It took
about 3 days to dry on bare wood. It isn't catalyzed in the typical sense;
there's no additive catalyzer, in other words. Good ol' air dry does the trick.
But it took maybe a month or maybe more before the paint was really fully set

The paint has stood up well over the years, but it won't stand up to pure
fuel exposure for prolonged periods, but then again, not much of what we have
today does. Where's the KB epoxy paint when you need it? Am still using the box
today and has not been repainted, but could use a fresh coat

Anyway, around same time frame, I painted iron-on  fabric covered airframe
with the paint and found it to be heavier than what we have today. That could
have been as much technique as paint. The stuff is pretty durable but is
photosensitive; it yellows with time as all one part urethanes do
'
regards

Matt