Teflon headers, followup

PENNISI Peter Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au
Thu Oct 9 17:56:24 AKDT 2003

I am using a modified CD header and Hatori pipe set-up on my model and I
have no problems. I currently have over 300 flights on this combination
using the same piece of Teflon 5/8 in ID with no noticeable wear or stress.

I modified my CD header (Hi Flow version) by having a 5/8 in flange and
machined barged welded to the end of it. The 5/8 in Teflon fits snugly over
the end of it. I use a stainless steel hose clamp to secure it (I will
explain why later). My Teflon coupler is 8 inches long. I then get a piece
of 1/2in Teflon thin wall approx 3/4 - 1 in in length and heat it up with
the heat gun until it becomes very soft. I then force this over the Hatori
pipe inlet and let it cool down (It is a very tight fit) I then heat up the
end of the 5/8 Teflon tube with the heat gun which I then slid over the pipe
which I then use a normal spring clamp. The Hatori inlet diameter is a very
loose fit for the Teflon tube. This is why I use the small piece of 1/2 in.
The only part of the pipe I support is the stinger. This allows the pipe to
move freely. There are no other brackets supporting the pipe inlet or
header. I feel this is the best set-up around as it is very light and
durable. The reason for the hose clamp is a normal spring clamp does not
provide enough tension to stop my pipe from rotating during a flight. I
simply support the stinger via a small bracket which has a hole in it. I
place a small piece of silicon over the stinger and push it all the way
towards the pipe. The bracket then slides over the silicon which becomes a
bearing.

For anyone interested I could forward some pictures. I must say that this
combination gives the best power over any other system out there. The CD
high flow header (Big diameter all the way to the cylinder head) gives 200
-300 RPM over any other set-up. The real difference in performance is in the
air.

Peter