How to know which pipe to use.

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Oct 8 09:41:22 AKDT 2003

Hello Gabriel,
Any of the YSes benefit from a free-flowing exhaust.
This is true of both the running characteristics and the noise level.
In general, the "stock" Hattori pipe is the smallest thing that should be used.
Greater expansion volume improves horsepower, and reduces engine temperature.
Two-cycle 120~140 pipes work well, and soften the raspy exhaust note.
Even a two-stroke 60-sized pipe is preferable.
I last used an Hattori #900 (the stock O.S. 140 RX pipe)pipe at the end of a
7/16" inside diameter aluminum extension pipe from the header.
Teflon couplers were used. It is best to have approximately 12" of header
length before the expanding cone begins. Unfortunately, short, small exhausts
are not as good as a full-size system.
Regards,
	Dean P.