CTE

wgalligan wgalligan at cnbcom.net
Fri Nov 28 10:01:11 AKST 2003

And I must say the results where nothing short of spectacular.  Lance lost his up pull line to a near mid air with Ron Barr's wing tip slicing his down pull line. He had to nurse this thing in from about 200 feet up while it was inverted.   After he realized it wasn't radio failure or interference he had to pull back to idle and let the plane settle down slowly. He could have done the same thing the happened to me at the same contest the year before (I crashed,  I lost my up pull line and on final the elevators started to flutter when the plane picked up too much speed.).  Lance finally got the plane to settle slowly in a large circle till he got about 50 feet off the ground.  He let it settle killing the engine and it floated in over the grass to a perfect two point (canopy and rudder) landing and a round of cheers from the gallery.  Only damage was a slight crushing of the c.f. canopy in one small spot that was repaired easily with a little c/a.  A repair of the pull line with some help from others that happen to have some pull cable and Lance was back in the air to complete his round.  Ron Barr didn't realize he had midaired Lance's plane till after he landed and noticed half of his wingtip was missing.  A very close call for both and some great flying by Lance to save his airplane.

Wayne G.