Glassing wing center section

jim ivey jivey61 at msn.com
Wed Nov 26 08:34:52 AKST 2003

Guys
Are we missing something in all these posts about center wing sections?
When a wing bends under load the top sheeting is under compression, the
bottom sheeting is under tension. The center wing joint is the weak point
here.The center glassings job, is to connect the top and bottom sheeting so
that this is not a weak point.In other words give continuity to the sheeting
across the wing. One layer of fiber cloth is all that is necessary to tie
the wing panel sheeting together.However, it is necessary to use a  a spar
between the two wing halves for strength for the bending moments. Also it is
my experience that epoxy resin is better to use than glass resin because the
fiberglass resin dries out and gets brittle over time. I have good results
with Zpoxy in this respect.I'm not a chemist and don't know why, but it
seems to stay plyable.(sp)
Since the center wing fibers  sole job is to connect the top and bottom
sheeting together the joint would be stronger if the dominent fibers are
orientated spanwise of the wing.
My opinion is that a wing either needs a tube or a spar and one layer of
fiber glass cloth and thinned epoxy.
Another can of worms.

Jim Ivey

jivey61 at msn.com

>From: "Edward Skorepa" <edsko at xmission.com>
>To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Re: Glassing wing center section
>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:40:42 -0700
>
>Amir,
>
>I usually don't say something without having proof. When my first and only
>one wing broke in 1974 on my Mach 1, I've performed several tests. If I
>remember well, the wing sample glassed with 4oz  0-90  was the weakest, 6oz
>0-45 strongest and 4oz  0-45 and 6oz  0-90 failed at exactly the same load.
>Ed

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org