CTE

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 20:25:56 AKST 2003

In a message dated 11/25/2003 11:47:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tkeithb at comcast.net writes:

> Subj:Re: CTE
> Date:11/25/2003 11:47:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:tkeithb at comcast.net">tkeithb at comcast.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Matt,
>
> The negative CTE of Kevlar seems as though it would exaggerate the loosening
> and tightening of the cables. As the fuse shrinks the cables will lengthen
> and visa versa.
>
> How would this be better than metal cables?
>
> Keith Black

A case of too much info Keith. Some may have led you to believe that there is
a great deal of expansion/contraction. In reality the amount of movement is
too small to notice.About 1/32" is allthe movement that technically results
from extreme temp swings.

 With Kevlar the CTE is negative, which means things get a little tight in
the summer and a little loose in the winter, but if you did the installation
correctly and applied the minimal tension required in the cables, it's a
non-issue. The cables should be set-up with very little tension, and will easily
absorb the movement. Be very fussy about having servo output arms on center of the
rudder horn plane and elevator horn plane; also most imprtant is to have the
clevises on the hinge line or very slightly aft for best results. Avoid being
forward of the hinge line

I don't change the tightness of my set-ups Winter to summer and back again.
My planes are in trim better than push rods have been in the past, by a wide
margin. Also, my set-ups have the cables, both sides, in slight tension all the
time, in true pull-pull fashion.

Guys get in trouble when they aren't really fussy during set-up and then
blame the type of system they use. Have you seen how my Alliance just locks in
pitch? It makes things very easy

matt