Glassing wing center section

Rick Wallace rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 18:12:11 AKST 2003

Jerry --

Another thing that makes it easy to smooth the transition from the glass to
the balsa is to spread the epoxy a little beyond the glass - so that there's
hardened glassed wood to receive the transition from the glass. Epoxy
thinned w/ alcohol works well here. (caution - weigh is still the enemy!)

For filler, I've used NHP Products Micro Fill (comes in white or balsa
color), or just lightweight spackle from the home store. Both are water
based / can be thinned w/ water and brushed on , then sanded (dry!) smooth.
Usually takes a couple coats and lots of sandpaper to smooth it out.

What you have will be just fine - for next time maybe consider this --
Another glassing technique is to use 3 or 4 layers of lighter cloth, each
one wider than the previous one, and ending up with 3/4 ounce cloth out as
far as the aileron cutouts. If you're careful with the epoxy, the weight can
actually be less than one layer of heavy cloth -- and it's at least as
strong.

Looking forward to pics of the plane when it's done!

# discussion-request at nsrca.org