Winter storing and the cold

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 09:22:11 AKST 2003

 Great answer. Wow I feel satisfied with those coefficents. As far as the hammer thing goes It's also probably a bad thing if my wifes car rolled over it while it was in it's so called brittle state. Mike   Just hoping I can make it until spring!

Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:
The epoxy will get brittle at those temps, but is not permanently affected. When it warms up, it goes back to normal. So while the fuse is zero degrees F, do not impact it with a hammer!
The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of the epoxy fiberglass fuse is about 6.5 X10-6 in/in degrees F.  Consider that any epoxy bonded things also gets brittle and then could get stressed by the shrinkage. The biggest stress would be on the elevator servo if connected to the stab using a carbon fiber push rod. The CF push rod has a CTE of zero, and it is long. That combined with the embrittlement of the adhesive holding the rails on could cause a problem. Simply disconnect  the pushrod on either the elevator or the servo-or purchase an all carbon fiber fuse airplane from Aeroslave-the time you save in not disconnecting that worrisome push rod is well worth it-not to mention trim change problems during temperature fluctuations......

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com>