Winter storing and the cold

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Nov 24 08:04:52 AKST 2003

The epoxy will get brittle at those temps, but is not permanently
affected. When it warms up, it goes back to normal. So while the fuse is
zero degrees F, do not impact it with a hammer!
The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of the epoxy fiberglass fuse is
about 6.5 X10-6 in/in degrees F.  Consider that any epoxy bonded things
also gets brittle and then could get stressed by the shrinkage. The
biggest stress would be on the elevator servo if connected to the stab
using a carbon fiber push rod. The CF push rod has a CTE of zero, and it
is long. That combined with the embrittlement of the adhesive holding the
rails on could cause a problem. Simply disconnect  the pushrod on either
the elevator or the servo-or purchase an all carbon fiber fuse airplane
from Aeroslave-the time you save in not disconnecting that worrisome push
rod is well worth it-not to mention trim change problems during
temperature fluctuations......

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering