Excellence, Masters-F3A

Jason jasonshulman at cox.net
Fri Nov 21 17:48:05 AKST 2003

Great, on the spot again...LOL.

- As you remember, most of the contests we (yes my brother too) were there
competing. Of course, we were kids and life hadn't caught up to us at that
time. When we moved to FL, I continued to go to local (8 hour drives) events
(though my brother found a new hobby- check the December issue of Sport
Trucks and you'll see) with a group of kids (ahh the days). Now that I'm in
AZ, the vast west, not much is with-in 7-8 hours of driving (or wasn't when
I was in Tucson) so the contests that I made were just local (Phx) or some
NATS. Plus I was working in the industry and traveling around for work which
wasn't pattern related. But now that I'm in Phx, I've already been to the
Fall Phx contest, made plans for the Feb contest and would like to go to LV
this weekend, but I'm down to 1 Worlds plane. Plus, I want to concentrate on
P/F-05 now. I do have a Revolution Pro coming that will be converted to
electric and hopefully my own design in the works (maybe before the NATS). I
don't have anyone to travel with here, and have lost most of my desire to
drive the long distances now (I must be getting old). But I've already
requested time off for the NATS!!!!

- I did start in Novice, then Sportsman, Advanced and skipped Masters (I
believe that I'm still "legal" to fly Advanced...LOL) to fly F3A. It
happened at a local event in SC when there was only 1 other F3A pilot and
Kirk wasn't the King of SC yet, so my friends dared me to fly F3A. So I did
and found it to be much more challenging than Advanced. Since I had an
interest in Pattern (81) I could remember reading all those great Worlds
articles and dreaming of the day...little did I know. So after the year was
over, I "officially" made the jump to F3A. Was it a mistake, maybe. I got
slaughtered my first year. I was 26th I think in my first NATS and only
thing I could do was place in the top 3 at local events (excluding the
Pensacola contest when all the Big Gums showed up). And if I remember
correctly, Sean went through all the classes, winning Sportsman, Advanced
and 2nd in Masters. And of course Chip, if I can remember back that far,
might have also gone through all the classes, but don't hold me to that. All
in all, I'm glad I went through the classes. I learned a lot, and it gave me
a chance to watch the top dogs without worrying about how I could fly well
enough to stay in the 900's.

- I do believe that Masters should be a less difficult class than F3A. There
is even talk here of making the current F3A schedule an "Expert Class" as an
unofficial class to bridge the gap at local contests here. I'm not sure if
that's the way to do it though. And being an F3A pilot and not a Masters
pilot, I don't think it matters what I think on this topic.

And if anyone is in it for the trophy's (I was when I was a kid), I have 5
boxes of them for you.

Troy, just read the comments again below. So much of what you said is true.
One thing for me at least is I've never claimed to have a learning
disability, my parents always reminded me I was just being lazy.  As for me,
my goal each round of a contest is to make a "Perfect" flight. One without
any errors (visible to the eye at least) and with the "Perfect"
presentation. I've never achieved that goal, but I'm going to keep trying
(and much harder this year). Of the past 3 Teams I've been on, I'm the only
one who has never won a NATS, and I DON'T LIKE IT ANYMORE. I'm kicking
"Lazy" to the curb!

Jason