Excellence, Masters-F3A

davel322 at comcast.net davel322 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 16:32:29 AKST 2003

This email string has touched on a number of points/ideas - so forgive the somewhat random thoughts below -

- In the US, a review of local/regional contest results for the past few years would show that the "top" US F3A pilots often do not attend very many F3A contests.  BUT - they often do participate in demos, tradeshows, and other modeling functions.  I suspect they might fly in more F3A contests IF they had the time and resources to do so (sorry to put you on the spot, but...Jason, since you are the only US F3A Team Member that I know monitors the list, this would be an opportunity for you to comment).  Personally, I flew in 8 F3A contests in 2003 and numerous funflys and demos - which is a pretty typical year for me.  If I have more time/resources/funding - I would fly in more events.

- In the US, I think the AMA class structure does feed the F3A ranks and eventually the World Champs - but only for a limited number of pilots who have the talent, drive, and resources to compete at the World Champs level.  I know for a fact that 2 of the 3 US pilots on the 2003 Team progressed through the AMA pattern classes (maybe not all of them) before competing in F3A in the US.  Whether the AMA class structure was designed to push pilots to F3A or not, it does that in practice - but only for those with the talent and drive to compete in F3A - which is the minority, not the majority.

- I've known Troy for a number of years, and we've practiced and critiqued with each other at the NATs since at least 98 (? maybe sooner, a little help Troy).  I agree absolutely with Troy regarding his philosophy about how/why/when to be a better pilot.  I don't agree that AMA Masters should be equal to F3A.  The FAI recognized that a system of prelims, finals, and unknowns were needed to challenge the best pilots in the world, and make it easier for the judges to select the best pilot in the world - and I concur.  However, it is a very small percentage of pattern pilots in the US (and the world) that could even consider competing at the World Championship level.  Ergo the need to make Masters = F3A would only the serve the interests of a very few number of pilots who will ultimately be competing in F3A anyway.

- If the US AMA Masters pilots have the drive to fly F3A, they can CHOOSE to fly F3A.  If the same pilots do not have the drive to fly F3A, and are happy flying Masters, what is wrong with that?  If those happy pilots are forced to fly F3A (even if by another name), are we going to lose some of them?  If the Masters pilots want to fly the F3A schedule without competing against the "true" F3A pilots, they can always choose to have the Masters schedule mirror the F3A schedule - there is no need to mandate this - doing so would only limit the options available.

As has recently become popular on this list - "I could be wrong".

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

# discussion-request at nsrca.org