Bigger Issues

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Wed Nov 19 21:21:18 AKST 2003

Gene,

This is exactly my point.  NSRCA only needs AMA for insurance
purposes, and that can be handled by requiring AMA membership to fly
in an NSRCA sanctioned event, just as it is now.  There is really no
need to apply/obtain for an AMA sanction (even a Class C event
sanction) unless extending the insurance to the site owner for the
event is a concern (most of the time it's not needed as most events
are hosted at AMA Club fields).  F3A events can have a separate AMA
sanction if needed to ensure the participants in the F3A Team
Selection Program can get their qualification points.

There seems to be a misconception that I'm advocating that NSRCA
"break-away" from AMA.  That's not exactly accurate.  I just don't
think that NSRCA needs AMA to tell NSRCA how to run a pattern
contest, what maneuvers should be flown, or how often the sequence
should change.  NSRCA can best decide that for themselves.

As far as having an AMA sanction goes, I've never had anyone ever ask
to see it (other than to get the sanction# to put on the form we mail
back to AMA).

Am I wrong on this?

Jerry

--