After run Oil

Jeff Hughes jhughes at hsonline.net
Wed Nov 19 03:29:49 AKST 2003

If you can't use petroleum based lubricants in a YS, why are people
advocating using Mobile 1? It's synthetic petroleum base.

> It is petroleum based.. Not for YS
> John Ferrell
> 6241 Phillippi Rd
> Julian NC 27283
> Phone: (336)685-9606
> johnferrell at earthlink.net
> Dixie Competition Products
> NSRCA 479 AMA 4190  W8CCW
> "My Competition is Not My Enemy"

use. Any thoughts? By the way I saw quite a few problems with the
pushrods and the pump cams on the DZ's this last season. The pre lube
thing sounds smart. Mike

>   Dean Pappas <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:
>     I agree with Eric ...
>     I have seen more wiped cam followers and abused cams than you
can shake a stick at, and I believe that most of it happened in the
first minute of running a new engine. Once the surface galls, it wears
differently for many hours of running. A good pre-lube in a new engine
is an excellent idea, especially with the DZ not having raw fuel in
the crankcase. The same oil as used in your fuel would also be good.
Don't try any automotive cam pre-lube: it usually has moly-disulfide
and will mess up glo-plugs and running until it washes out of the
enginne. Don't ask how I know!
>     Regards All,
>     Dean

is that it really behaves like a before-run oil. - more on that later.

>       One thing that I noticed on YS's is that when we run them dry
of combustible fuel we forget that there is fuel still in the cup
portion of the piston if we are running inverted. It is a good idea to
run the engine out with the engine upright. If you run it dry
inverted, it will always give you one more pop if you try it again the
right way up.

>       The best way to protect a YS is to treat before the first run.
A tear-down looking for ali-crud is always a good idea. Then just
smear everything with Mobil-1 on reassembly.

>       (As an aside my YS 1.10 spit a prop this weekend without
warning. The culprit was a chard of aluminum stuck in the silicone
poppet valve in the regulator. This caused fuel to leak to the carb.
Tightening down the regulator stopped that happening, but when the
piece fully embedded itself it then had a good seat-seal and caused a
very lean feed to the carb. - Will check for that next time)

>       If you use Mobil-1 you will find that it does not mix with the
fuel. It will cause a good smoke cloud and mess with the initial run
of the engine.takes about 60 seconds to burn it all out. I believe
that during this burn-out that is when it does the most good to the
engine. Mobil-1 appears to get into the "skin"  of metal such as
crankshafts and definitely has kept my bearings in good shape.

request at nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Bill Thompson
>       Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 7:48 PM
>       To: discussion at nsrca.org
>       Subject: Re: After run Oil
>

>       Terry
>       What you just said is what I have been doing since the late
80's. I asked the question because three or four people told me that I
am killing my engine's. I replaced my bearings after over 200 flights
no rust and just like you said it was to make me feel better. I am
running 25% Cool Power synthetic. Thanks for your help.

>       Bill Thompson
>       AMA 7703

main difference will be whether or not to use any, and if not, whether
or not to run the engine dry.
>                  I never use after run, however, performance
specialties sell an after run that will not harm the internals of the
engine. DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCT OF ANY KIND.
>                  I run Cool Power heli fuel and run the engine dry
after flying. I never have replaced bearings because of need. I have
replaced the bearings just to "make me feel better" but they seemed
fine. When I rebuild a YS, the inside is full of oil, even though I
run it dry after flying. When running it dry, only the part of the
fuel that burn will run out, leaving a good bit of oil still in the
engine.

>                   Hope this helps get the thread started, good luck,
Terry