Control horns, is it just me or... ? (follow-up)

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 20:07:26 AKST 2003

As a follow-up to my quest to find control horns that extend over the hinge
line I ordered some of the Dubro horns that Brian Young suggested
(http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMF9&P=7). These seem to
be the perfect size and EASILY extend over the hinge line for pull-pull
applications, even on the rudder. As Brian pointed out they aren't sexy, but
do the job.

On the sexy side, Tony sent me a pair of Radio South's new anodized
alumninum control horns with the ball-bearing race, these are beautiful!
With the ball-bearing I'm sure they will also be smooth as silk. They're
shaped so they will extend out over the hinge line, however they don't
extend out as far as the Dubros.

Since the Dubro horns allow adjustment up and down I will be using these on
my pull-pull elevator. I feel that the ability to move the control horn up
and down is very important for matching the throws of the elevator halves
when using pull-pull. I also plan on using the Dubro's on the rudder
pull-pull because the longer arm on the horn reaches the hinge line better.

I'll be using the new Radio South horns on my ailerons and would use them on
my elevator if I weren't going with a pull-pull system.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Keith Black