Rule Change Survey Results

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Sun Nov 16 12:23:58 AKST 2003

>A down-side to non-rulebook events is that there is no protected zone.

A valid question to ask would be be, "Has not having a protected zone
been a problem?".  I suspect not, since those organizing and running
such events have a greater vested interest in the future of the event
than those at AMA who are tasked with regulating it.

We have a lot of rules in society to solve/prevent problems that
functionally do not exist.  IMHO the issue of AMA wanting to have a 3
year rules cycle is to prevent the perceived problem of "lack of
stability" in rules proposals/maneuver sequences being submitted for
consideration.  Note that I said "perceived problem".  It's a control
issue based on a lack of trust.

At this point there are only three options to consider:

1)  Work with AMA to resolve the problem by influencing them to give
up some control (this is what's currently being tried).

2)  Break completely away from the AMA bureaucracy and setup our own
regulatory process to solve the problems we perceive needing
attention.  This would include setting up and running our own NSRCA
Nats and boycotting the AMA Nats (remember N-Pac?), creating our own
rules processes, everything.  Starting over.  Sound radical?  It is.
History teaches us that the only consistently successful way to
eliminate bureaucracy is to "pick up, move somewhere else, and start
over".

(BTW-from dictionary.com bureaucracy is defined as "an administrative
system in which the need or inclination to follow rigid or complex
procedures impedes effective action".  Sound familiar?).

3)  Accept the status quo and live with it.  (not my favorite)

There may be other options but they're likely variations of these.
One woould be if #1 doesn't work to our satisfaction, we move on to
#2.

So the question is, "what does everyone want to do?".  We do control
our own destiny here.  We don't need to sanction our contests to have
insurance, only for it to be an "official AMA event" (as if anyone
other than the FAI Team Selection participants would care).  We could
create our own standards/process for an "NSRCA Sanctioned event".  We
have choices, if we're willing to pick them.

The bottom line is we don't need AMA's approval to do any of this.

We take control.  We decide.

Thx, Jerry

(that ought to get some discussion going!)
--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com
# discussion-request at nsrca.org