Rules changes - NSRCA Register

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Fri Nov 14 12:33:56 AKST 2003

--On Friday, November 14, 2003 3:18 PM -0600 Tony Stillman <tony at radiosouthrc.com> wrote:

> If 15%-20% may be a good average for a local club, but I expect a special
> interest group that lives by rules that this committee approves or
> disapproves, to have a few more interested people.

To what other SIG are you comparing the NSRCA?

Do you have evidence that this is an unusually
low rate of return on a poll?

> Perhaps it's just
> wishful thinking on my part.

It could be--and on the part of people who have
their own view of "what's right for pattern"
and who argue that we "only" got a response
from 15% of the organization.

I'm not a sociologist.  I just play one in my
dreams.  But I suggest that we should consider
the poll of those who participated representative
of the attitude of those who want to participate
in the meta-hobby of setting standards for
competition.

Another way of saying this is that I doubt that
the distribution of the vote would be much
different even if we made everybody take the poll.

There are countries where it is mandatory to
vote in order to maintain citizenship (e.g.,
Belgium, maybe Australia).  Short of making a rule
like that, I expect that it will always be a minority
who get involved in discussions like this or who
take time to fill out a poll in the K-Factor.
If you prove me wrong in the next poll, I'll
apologize for my pessimism.  ;o)

> The Contest Board will do what they think is
> best.

Agreed.

> If a handful go to the trouble to contact their board member and sway
> them to vote their way, we will just have to live with the outcome.

Yes.  That's life.

> However, individuals can send rules proposal just like NSRCA can.  If
> someone feels strongly enough to send in a proposal, so be it.  It is their
> right, too.

Agreed.

						Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org