Piedmont Temptation construction questions

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Wed Nov 12 07:43:28 AKST 2003

 Answers in caps

Hi,
I have a question for you more experienced pattern builders.

My Temptation plans do not indicate what kind of reinforcement,
if any, should be built into the rear of the fuselage.

1. Is the fuse strong enough to be used as is, with no reinforcement?
YES IT IS STRONG ENOUGH - I DEAD STICK-TREE-TESTED MINE ;-)

2. Or, should I be putting a horizontal plate/ladder to stiffen
the sidewalls? NOT NEEDED AT ALL.

3. If #2, then can I safely remove the "X" cross brace at the rear of the
hatch, since it pretty much blocks access to the rear of the fuse?
IN MY CASE I REPLACED THE X WITH SERVO RAILS VERY SOLID IN THAT AREA

I had a bad experience with a previous composite fuse whose
manufacturer claimed "no reinforcement needed". The fuse broke
about 6" aft of the wing after just a few flights (no snaps
or rough handling), so I'm leery of repeating the same construction
practice without hearing from others first.

One other question:

4. Is the little tail former shown on the plans and paper template really
needed? In addition to looking hard to install, it looks like it might
block the pushrod and pull pull cables.
I WOULD FIT IT BECAUSE IT PREVENTS CRUSHING FROM SIDE FORCES THAT THE STAB CAN EXERT WHEN PLANES COMES ANY SUDDEN STOP. DOES NOT MESS UP PUSHROD OR PULL-PULL

Thanks for any info or additional tips.

YOU MIGHT LIKE TO PUT IN TWO CROSS PIECES ON THE CANOPY/TOP-DECK OPENING AND REMOVE THE CENTRAL ONE TO ALLOW EASIER TANK FITTING AND SELECTION.

I FITTED TWO 1/4" BALSA CROSS PIECES TO THE WING-ADJUSTERS-BLOCKS TO PREVENT FLEXING UNDER HIGH LOADS.

ENJOY - ERIC. P.S. HAVE MANY PICTURES OF PROTOTYPE BEING CONSTRUCTED AND MY 1.60 VERSION IF YOU WANT THEM.

Regards,

--Derek

PS. The supplied paper firewall template for this plane was
about 30% too small. Not even close to the right size.
Not a problem, just amusing.
# discussion-request at nsrca.org

# discussion-request at nsrca.org