Why would one slip a plane?

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 11:25:42 AKST 2003

 Ok this might seem simple but here it goes. Slipping in for a landing increases your control over the plane. Too many guys overshoot landings because they haven't bled off enough speed. I feel that you shouldn't slip the plane unless your engine is running. You should get your plane slowed down and nose high then fly it in under power. If you can land it like a 747 then your good! Slipping is the best way to achieve this unless you have a 20 MPH head wind which works pretty well also. Now if you stop the slip before the 2 meter point then no penalty after that point then slam the hot doggin dude and yell at him too if that's what it takes! One slight warning if your slipping and you dork your plane be prepared to get severely chastised. Pattern planes slip better than any other thing out there. Plus and this is the most important point it's alot of fun.
        Always remember that we do this for fun, lighten up and enjoy the beauty of flight and being out with your best friends. Mike