Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 11 06:30:12 AKST 2003

The rule states 'to handle a crosswind situation.'  If there was no
crosswind you should be downgraded.  The slip is a long ways from smooth
and graceful.  And, if you are good and crazy enough to side slip down
to less than 6 feet above the ground in a contest with your pattern ship
you had better be flying FAI, else you are sand-bagging.  I do the slip
as soon as I turn onto the landing approach and end at least 6 feet up,
because it takes some time to get the plane back into flying mode for a
smooth landing.

I usually save the slips for practice flights as well.... kind of like
rolling 45deg back and forth on the downwind approach.  Not exactly
against the rules, but just looks bad in a contest flight.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org