Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 20:04:49 AKST 2003

Larry, what exactly are you asking re: spoilers? Are you talking about the
"real" spoilers that are usually found at around the high point of a typical
airliner wing
or are you talking about reflexing the ailerons electronically? The latter
are not really spoilers per se. The airflow doesn't detach from the wing as
would happen with the real thing

The latter is being done by many who seem unable to slow pattern planes down
(VBG), to help
 with landing approaches. I have tried it also but don't care much for it.
Besides, our modern pattern planes can land at a crawl and don't really need
that function

But the former is a more efficient way to increase drag  and lose lift at the
same time. Again, of questionable value in a modern pattern plane with the
large wing area, (unless you want to land super slow)  but on a small winged
aerobat it may help you

I have used a variation of the former in pattern planes of the 80's with very
good success. If interested, contact me directly for details

Matt K