Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Mon Nov 10 17:38:08 AKST 2003

Hi Larry.
    Some of us fo choose to reflex our ailerons up on landing to add more drag. Almost always have to mix in some elevator for this condition. It helps allow a steeper decent without a big increase in speed. A spoiler is a different animal as far as coming up in the top of the wing to spoil lift over that area of the wing. I remember someone once adding a split rudder that opened at trailing edge to create drag. I never witnessed how well it worked.
    The truth to remember is the key to slowing down your approach speed is to raise the nose while on your downwind to slow a clean pattern ship down. Then let it settle at its trimmed sink rate using your idle of your engine to control your decent path.
    Hope this helps.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473