F3A - snap roll query

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Tue Nov 4 18:22:06 AKST 2003

--On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 9:36 PM -0500 Troy Newman <troy_newman at msn.com> wrote:

> ...now commonly people thing that the model jumped up or
> deviated so it didn't stall...this is not the case always.

I agree with you completely.

I'm a pattern worm, but I feel intense dislike of those
who have a fixed idea about what a "stall" looks like,
especially in a snap maneuver.

"Stalling" a wing comes from detachment of the air flow
over the top of a wing.  It is a function of angle of
attack, wing planform, airfoil and airspeed.  Stalls
can occur at any speed.

The classic "stall" maneuver is supposed to exhibit
a quick and noticeable dropping of the nose as a
demonstration that both wings lost lift at the same
time.  I understand why many pilots, full scale and
RC, simulate the stall by a quick downthrust.  They're
pandering to the judge's stereotypes.

Demanding that entry to a snap, in which one wing is
stalled and the other still producing lift (hence
the rapid rotation), resemble the classic stall
maneuver seems ludricrous to me.  Seems to me that
it is nonsensical to demand that both wings stall
and that one generate enough lift to toss the
airplane in the snap.

Just my opinion, with all due respect and no
undue disrespect (as a brain-damaged acquaintance
said to the judge at his arraignment).

				Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org