Speaking of power

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu May 29 09:40:59 AKDT 2003

Bob,
 You make a fine point: I hear people on this forum, and elswhere, talking about mid to high eight-thousands and wonder how they are meeting the noise, whether it be AMA or FAI.
I don't see propping a two stroke above 8,000, they just get loud. (a 17-13N on a two stroke 140 turns 7,700 or so and a 17-12 gets loud in the air ... IMHO)
For the 4-strokes, the cam just wakes up at 8,000 on both the  YS DZ and FZ, I would think that we should be playing with props that turn in the very low 8,000s.
It's easy to forget the noise, especially as we are all drunk with the fantastic horsepower we have these days!
speaking softly,
    Dean