remote glow + a battery question

Ed Miller edbon85 at optonline.net
Wed May 28 03:20:49 AKDT 2003

I purchased the MK unit while constructing my EMC. The plastic unit that
mounts in the fuse that you plug into is very brittle, luckily mine broke
the ears off before I was committed to use it so I switched plans and went
with the Hangar 9 unit with the Tetra glow plug clip. I suspect the MK glow
plug attachment clip will be short lived also. The Hangar 9 unit only needs
to copy the Tetra glow plug attachment device/method to be a perfect
product. Once it is clipped on, it isn't coming off without the use of a
small screwdriver or pick to pull the spring clip out of the glow plug
grooves.
A question, has anyone used a 5 cell NimH 2/3A pack rated at 1100mah ?? I
purchased one from a major battery retailer at Toledo, after a dozen cycles
on my Alpha 4 using the C10 charge rate ( 110mah ) and discharge rates of
250, 500, 750 and 1000mah, the best capacity I recorded was 924mah. I sent
the battery pack to the retailer for replacement, did I just get a bad new
pack or is the 1100mah rating a bit optimistic ?? Pack only weighs 3.3
ounces with connector.
While in Toledo I purchased various sizes of aluminum and stainless steel
hardware ( allen head screws of various types both alum and stainless, alum
nylon locking nuts, etc. ). The net of this was a 23 gram weight saving on
my EMC2 over using the conventional steel hardware. At 35 bucks for all the
hardware ( enough for 4 planes I estimate ) the 23 grams saved was not cost
effective but opened my eyes as to how much all this "stuff" weighs. I also
was able to get a Hanson rotomount down to 2.6 ounces total ready to use
weight which includes epoxy fuel proofing, black paint, 4-6/32 steel
screws/washers and 2-10/32 screws/washers with stainless "short" nylon lock
nuts.
Ed M.