JR "Unplugged"

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Tue May 27 09:25:43 AKDT 2003

I feel compelled to interject at this point that my experience with the
JR 10X  programming has not been the piece of cake that others seem to
find it to be. As you can probably guess, I don't consider myself to be
all that dim-witted, but by the same token, I am not to be categorized
with the likes of Albert E. either!  My previous experience at
programming R/C computer radios was with the major competitive
brand,i.e. Futaba.  I'm the first to admit that all the systems out
there require the owner to invest some considerable time devoted to
digesting the material contained in the instruction manual, however,
there does, in my opinion, exist a major difference in reasonable
understandability between the two systems.
The #64 rudder coupling mix is the exception to all the other deep dark
secrets hidden away within the bowels of an otherwise beautifully
performing system.
Example:  If you own a Futaba system and you want to set up an Airbrake
function, you look up "Airbrake" in the manual and the page no. is
listed, whereupon you turn to the page and follow the directions and
"voilla" Airbrake now functions! Sure, you have to remember to include
the flap channel, but there isn't even any reference to the airbrake
function in the JR manual. Can you set up the airbrake function with the
JR radio? Sure you can, but is it easy? No way! I just got through
setting it up yesterday on my new plane, but if you ask me how I did it
I would have to tell you that I have no idea.On top of that it probably
took me a couple of hours. I'm just starting to get a grasp of code 17
Function Select to set up a flight mode which I successfully implemented
after a coule of days of reading it over and over, but I had done the
same thing a couple of days before on my Futaba in about 10 minutes. The
mix functions on the Futaba require less programming steps while the JR
confuses you with "normal, include, origin" choices you must select if
you can understand what they do.
On the Futaba you can assign any function to any switch while the JR
limits flight modes to only the three D/R switches. JR claims that you
can customize the radio to your own personal preferances, but in truth
you really can't,   at least in my opinion.
Maybe I've got this all wrong, or maybe somebody can enlighten me, but I
fail to be able to share the enthusiastic endorsement of programming
simplicity proclaimed by some others.
Maybe it's a failure on the part of the authors of the manual to do a
straight forward presentation of the material.
Don't get me wrong. I do all my serious pattern flying with the JR radio
and it does what it's supposed to do and it does it extremely well and
yes I like the radio, but I just can't endorse statements I've seen by
others to the effect that it's easier to program than Futaba because in
my experience just the opposite is true.The problem could be just
me,....who knows.
Georgie