JR "Unplugged"

don szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Mon May 26 19:14:43 AKDT 2003

Yes, I just helped set up a Troy Built Extra 260, from an ex- pattern flyer locally.  (BTW, he was drooling over the Focus, and I encouraged him to get back into pattern, he is contemplating)  the Focus is a pre- FOCUS 2 (thicker stab which really puts the snaps on heading and elevators go all the way to the tip (I've got over 30% expo on low rates and 60% expo on high rates to get the same feel as the FOCUS ARF at half that expo).  Also BTW, I am moving closer to putting the 3D stab and wings, to try them out in the next month or so.

Anyhow he has just switched to JR and found a couple of learning curve issues.

The code 17 function for flapperons- putting the aux 1 into "inhibit" mode.  (disabling the slider on the left side of the tx)

Screen contrast- after we took off the protective plastic of the screen, found on the main screen in the lower right hand corner contrast adjustment.  After that I could see the screen while we were flying and set up the Rudder-Aileron/Elevator mix, and did a Function 51, low throttle to down elevator.  Polished these in the air.

Function modes- I explained the dual rate/expo function code. Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder all on one code and set up for him.  Basically he did not realize the three basic flight modes (he set up FM 1 rather than FM 0 to start).  Got him squarred away.  Remembering he just picked up the radio and started using it without the manual.

He also had cannisters (big mufflers) on his engine so the low end was very sluggish.  On his first flight he kept thinking the engine was lean or ready to dead stick when in reality it was just sluggish. Just before the next flight, in real time I showed him the code 18, used the procedure and he adjusted the curve to his liking.

So in 2 flights he went from getting ready to toss the plane (it was way out of trim and was not locking in at all) to perfectly mixed aircraft and a very excited pilot.