Fw: Practicing in Strong Winds

don szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Sat May 24 21:03:34 AKDT 2003

OK, someone mentioned about the DZ setup.  Here is the code- 18 trick, throttle curve. For the JR 10X.  I really like this feature because its so simple to do.

Its really easy- the DZ can be very sensitive just past idle when advancing the throttle.  This can make the burst around the stall turn look rushed, for example.  I like the 16x12 prop as it provides extra pitch and speed to enable positive control during a stall turn.

Throttle curve on the 10X- set up two points between idle and the mid-stick point.  Bounce them down about 5% so the curve looks kind of expo between idle and mid. Also select expo option which smooths between the points.  Note the trim level has to be at the point where you fly.

I did this exact procedure as I was about to fly this evening (was taxi-ing out) and just stood in front of the stabs.  The all servos hold, yes- function, allows adjustment and moving the throttle stick to set the point while the engine  remains running at idle.  Enter the settings, then go to low stick and you get the servos back and can test out the curve real-time.  Its a real time saver- in less than 30 seconds I had the throttle curve set up, tested it, then I continued taxi-ing, took off and flew the sequence.

Actually, a plug for the 10X.  I just got my new plane flying and after two flights its 90% dialed in.  I attribute the speed of setup to the simplicity of the radio.  OK you don't fly JR, here's something you may be able to use too:

Particularly in wind, but also in calm, you ever cut the throttle, like when you are about to enter a spin, and watch the plane start veering off to the left?  Then you go inverted as if to enter an inverted spin and it veers to the left again?

If you have the Gator wing adjusters, turn the left wing adjusters one and one quarters of a turn and the plane will track straight.  Magic.  Now, make sure you move the left wing trailing edge up.  Counter-intuitive, but remember the ailerons are the predominant force a low speed, wing incidence is the predominant factor at high speed.  You'll need 6 to 8 clicks of right aileron trim but the plane will tracks perfectly, allowing flawless spin entries (without having to put in the rudder correction)

Happy flying,
Don