How to install drive washer & retainer for YS 140s?

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 17:30:39 AKDT 2003

My guess is the bearings are not seated all the way. The last step on the crankshaft should just stick out beyond the front bearing. The retainer (tapered spit collet) should slide on and hit the step on the crankcase, not the inner race of the front bearing.

 Ihncheol Park <PatternFlyer at msn.com> wrote:
Hi, All,
I am having problem installing the drive washer & retainer in my YS 140L.
I just replaced all the bearings. Rear bearing didn't need much effort at
all. I just pushed in with crank shaft. Front bearing after installing the
oil seal was really tight, so I used crankshaft and drive washer with retain
to push in the front bearing.

All the bearings are in correctly. Now, the drive washer does not stay on
with retainer.
When I tight the prop nut with washer, crankshaft turns. prop can not hold
the drivewasher.
What is the best way to make the drive washer stay on?
I can not lock the drive washer to retainer.

I gotta solve this before running the engine. Otherwise the prop & nuts will
fly away.
Help~~

Ihncheol

# discussion-request at nsrca.org