3M / OS header O-ring size

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP/ACQ James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Fri May 23 11:20:37 AKDT 2003

I suggest that you use two supports for the exhaust system.  If you only
mount the pipe in one place, within 25 flights the shaking of the engine on
a Hyde mount will loosen up the o-ring fit.  Currently, I have 1 pipe mount
at the aft end of the pipe, and one mount at the neck of the pipe.  This
leaves the silicone coupler and o-rings to keep the header in place and
handle the shaking of the engine.  Or, I guess you could mount the pipe in
the back, and make a mount for the header.  Up to you.  The cooling fins on
the back of the 170 do not allow for fit of an OS/ MACS header, unless you
either modify the header flange, engines cooling fins, or have a short (1/4"
or so) adapter.

Jim W.

-----